"The Godfather, Part II" (1974) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #32

Synopsis (according to IMDB.com)
The early life and career of Vito Corleone in 1920s New York is portrayed while his son, Michael, expands and tightens his grip on the family crime syndicate.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
It's difficult for me to review this on its own since I can't help but compare it to Part 1 (especially since I saw these two films back to back recently).  The story here is more of a downer, and I find so many scenes in Part 1 to be more memorable and iconic, so I'm struggling to give this film the acclaim it deserves.  Having said that, here I go...

Much like the first film, Part 2 is extremely well done.  It's a bit more of a complex story to follow, but the storytelling is once again terrific - it feels like an epic at 3 hours and 20 minutes, but it goes by rather quickly.  I loved seeing how Vito Corleone came to power and how his story is juxtaposed with Michael's efforts to retain that power.  It's well done filmmaking to interweave these two stories as Coppola does, and the screenplay, acting, lighting, and atmosphere all add to that, which is why this is another masterpiece.

Complaints?
No complaints, but I found it interesting that the only real moment of levity in either of these two films comes in a short scene in Part 2 (since, like I mentioned above, Part 2 is more of a downer to me, so it's ironic that it's the one with a semi-funny moment).  Nevertheless, seeing the landlord visit Vito after taking his money and insulting him, only to find out later the reputation Vito now has, is a pretty funny scene.

LET ME SUM UP...
Another masterpiece, though not quite as enjoyable for me as the original.

MY RATING: 8/10 (no change from my previous rating)

No comments: