"Dr. Strangelove" (1964) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #39

Synopsis (according to imdb.com)
An insane general starts a process to nuclear holocaust that a war room of politicians and generals frantically try to stop.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I'm really not a big fan of this film.  I remember it being just "alright" when I saw it in my American Film class, and after watching it again I think I like it even less.  Aside from one pretty good laugh, the rest of the comedy just wasn't that amusing.  And while I appreciate the poignancy of the story and satirizing nuclear holocaust during the Cold War, I think that not really living through that time in history makes it hard for me to fully appreciate "Dr. Strangelove."  The fact that it was written and directed by Stanley Kubrick (A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Spartacus) didn't help, either.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
I give major props to the fact that this movie satirized and laughed at the very real possibility of nuclear war at the time it came out.  Taking what people were fearing (the end of the world, basically) and making a comedy out of it is the major reason I think this is on the AFI List.  I don't know of another movie that has done something like that.  It was also nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Actor (Peter Sellers, who played three roles).

Complaints:
Aside from just not really liking the movie overall, I didn't really think the character of Dr. Strangelove was played that well.  Peter Sellers was great as the President and Captain Mandrake, but Dr. Strangelove seemed a little over-acted.  My best way to explain it is with a Batman reference: Heath Ledger's Joker was a crazy character portrayed eerily realistic.  On the other end, take ANY of the villains from Batman Forever or Batman and Robin, and you've got over-the-top, distracting acting.  That was Dr. Strangelove, to me.

LET ME SUM UP...
A movie that does a good job of satirizing what people were undoubtedly fearing most when it came out, but overall not very entertaining.

MY RATING: 3/10 (3 lower from my previous rating)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reading this post. want to watch it soon to give the answer of your question as it seems interesting. Check more good movies to watch