"12 Angry Men" (1957) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #87

Synopsis (according to imdb.com)
A dissenting juror in a murder trial slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court.

(The trailer I found on YouTube - embedded below - is a pretty good modern-day-style video.  Check it out!)

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I absolutely love this movie.  It's in my Top 3 of all time.  It's one of the most well-acted movies by the entire cast I think there is.  Its attention to detail (in the storytelling, character subtleties, interactions, etc.) is incredibly impressive.  And I find it amazing that a film can provide so much background for so many different characters in such little time and space.

Speaking of "so many different characters", this is a great melting pot of personalities.  In just 12 people, you have a sports fanatic, a businessman, a slumdog, an intellectual, an everyday joe, a racist, a blue collar worker, an elderly man, an immigrant, an angry old man, an upbeat, and a voice of reason.  All forced to sit down together, discuss a case, and come to a consensus.  A great look into American culture, both then and now.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
Great acting.  Great storytelling.  Great cinematography for being set in one room.  IMDB.com rankings have this (as I'm writing this post, at least) as the #6 film of all time, so I'm not the only average joe who thinks this movie is one of the best.  It was nominated for 3 Academy Awards - Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Picture (losing out to The Bridge on the River Kwai in every category).

Complaints
1. This movie didn't even make it onto AFI's first Top 100 list, in 1997 (!!!).
2. When it finally made it onto the list in 2007, it's way down at #87 (!!!!!!!).
3. It's ranked lower on the list than Titanic (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

LET ME SUM UP...
One of the best films ever made.  It's a very simple story, but with great characters and character development.  I get just as excited (if not moreso) when I'm about to sit down and watch this as I do when I'm about to watch The Dark Knight (which, if you know me, is saying a lot).  A must-see.

MY RATING: 10/10 (No change from my previous rating)

No comments: