"A Night at the Opera" (1935)

Rank on the AFI List: #85

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
Nothing, but once I picked it up from the library, I saw that it was a Marx Brothers movie.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
Every once in a while I will watch a comedy that endears itself to me. One I can watch countless times and still crack up at the same jokes and comic situations each time. One that seems to get funnier every time I see it. One I love to randomly think about and laugh quietly to myself. And I can say, without equivocation, that "A Night at the Opera" is not and will never be included in this category.

This was one of the worst, most unfunny "comedies" I have ever seen. The humor was so far beyond cheesy and ridiculous that I can't even fathom how anyone could possess a sense of humor that finds this movie entertaining (and my deepest apologies to anyone who may have just said "Hey! I think this movie is funny!" I'm sorry I don't understand you.).

On top of that, there was singing of opera music. Now I happen to like musicals, but I am NOT a fan of the opera. I simply find that musical style to be very unappealing. I think I was optimistic that, even with a name like "A Night at the Opera", there would just be comedy and not any opera singing. Unfortunately for me, the opera singing was there, and the comedy was missing.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
There are other movies on the AFI list that I don't like (Easy Rider, The French Connection, and Nashville), but I can somewhat understand why these made the list. "A Night at the Opera", on the other hand, is just baffling to me. While trying to figure out why this is considered one of the best movies ever made, I first thought "maybe this is on the AFI list because the Marx Brothers were a very famous comedy team that needed to be represented on the list, and perhaps this was their best movie." However, I reminded myself that Duck Soup, at #60 on the list, is also a Marx Brothers movie. Not only did that revelation depress me because it means I have to sit through another Marx Brothers production, but it also left me unable to answer this question about why "A Night at the Opera" is considered a Top 100 film.

Complaint:
This movie.

LET ME SUM UP...
This movie is terrible. In fact, I think every movie that did not make it onto the AFI list got short-changed because practically ANY OTHER FILM deserves a place on the list before "A Night at the Opera".

MY RATING: 1/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 64

3 comments:

Kevin & Kristin said...

Wow, what a hefty review! Ouch. I (sorta) grew up watching Marx Brothers films with my family, and I happen to enjoy opera (mostly cause I love to sing). Double whammy! :) Although I don't know if I would enjoy the Marx Brothers humor now...it really is a different generation of comedy.

Allie said...

I grew up watching the Marx Brothers too, and I always thought they were hilarious. That being said, I've never been able to make it through "A Night at the Opera" -- I just don't get it. Better luck with "Duck Soup." It helps if you remember that the Marx Brothers came out of vaudeville, and EVERYTHING was over-the-top in vaudeville.

wanderingbtrfly said...

I haven't seen this one, I don't think I've seen any Marx Brothers, but you're review just cracked me up!!!