"All About Eve" (1950)

Rank on the AFI List: #28

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
Nothing, except that, judging by its cover, it doesn't quite look like a movie geared toward men.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
There are some films I've watched during My Quest that I refused to learn or read anything about before viewing.  Sometimes it's fun to learn what a movie is about as you're watching.  On the other hand, some films I decided I wanted to know the synopsis beforehand, so I'd read the back of the DVD cover to get a general idea.

"All About Eve" was one that I decided to go in clueless about.  And I think that was a mistake.

I feel this way because I was lost on the point of the story.  I thought it was going to be an uplifting story on a young actress's climb to fame.  This simple idea I had caused me to misjudge nearly every character.

Aside from all that, I just wasn't a big fan of this film.  I never really cared about any of the characters, and it's all about the theatre and the desire to be famous.  I do not have those same goals, nor do I empathize with those who do.

The end of the movie was good because it brought the story full circle and added a new element to each of the characters.  But until then, I had spent almost 2 hours essentially waiting for the movie to end.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
I'm learning that, if you want to increase your chances of getting a film onto the AFI list, focus on either the theatre/acting world or the Holocaust.  The AFI seems to LOVE these.  Aside from that, I'm really not the best person to answer this question because I didn't really like it, but it amazingly holds the record (along with Titanic) for most Academy Award nominations EVER with 14 (winning 6 including Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay).  That fact, along with "All About Eve" being rated so high on the AFI List at #28, is baffling to me.  Apparently I missed something.

Complaints:
Nothing specific, but I'm just not a big fan of the movie overall.

LET ME SUM UP...
I wish I had known something about the story before watching this.  Nevertheless, I didn't really care much about the characters or the story because I can't relate to "the theatre world".  However, it is surprising that this movie is not more well known.  I had never even heard of it before seeing it ranked so high on the AFI List, and it's only one of two films in history to receive 14 Academy Award nominations.  Either I missed something, or the Academy really loved the focus on theatre and fame.

MY RATING: 3/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 81

No comments: