"The Apartment" (1960)

Rank on the AFI List: #80

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
Nothing at all, but after checking out the DVD sleeve, I learned that it stars Jack Lemmon and has a pretty raunchy premise of an employee of a big insurance company who lets executives use his apartment for extra-marital affairs.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
Eh.  That's pretty much how I felt about this movie.  I followed the plot easily and didn't get too bored, but I just wasn't that impressed.  The comedy wasn't very good, the story was all about affairs and cheating, and there just wasn't really anything outstanding to me.  So I say again..."eh".

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
No idea.  Again, I was not really impressed with anything about this film.  Maybe the focus on "Corporate America" and the scandals within companies is something?  That seems like quite a stretch actually, so nevermind.......hmmm.......well, it did win five Academy Awards including Best Picture.  I was shocked when I learned that, but then I saw the other nominees: Elmer Gantry, Sons and Lovers, The Alamo, and The Sundowners.  Must have been the lack of competition that helped "The Apartment" do so well that year.

Complaints:
It's not really a complaint, but rather something odd I wanted to bring up: the way Jack Lemmon's character tries to impress Fran.  I never realized that telling a girl you know everything about her - including her social security number - was an endearing pickup line.

LET ME SUM UP...
Eh.  Nothing special.  Nothing too funny.  Nothing very memorable.

MY RATING: 4.5/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 83

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on. This movie is a classic. I love how well we got to care about the characters in 2 hours, how likable and charming Lemmon and MacLaine's performances are. The story is funny and groundbreaking for its time, and the romance is heartfelt. It's just a well-told story and one of my favorites. It's the sort of film I get sad after it's over because I know I have just watched something great and so few movies will ever be able to top it.

Josh said...

Sorry, I just don't have the same appreciation for this one as you. But, since this is in the Top 100, I'd say I'm in the minority on this. :)