"Swing Time" (1936)

Rank on the AFI List: #90

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
Only that it was a musical.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This is considered one of the best films by famous dancing pair Fred Estaire and Ginger Rogers.  And for me, it's the first and only film I've seen of theirs.  I'll say this: they are incredible dancers.  One of the most impressive things to see in this movie is how they move together, as if they're one graceul person rather than two separate people (specifically, watch how in sync they bounce together).  And I have to point out that the number they do in the dance class is easily my favorite part of the whole film.

There's some good humor in this as well (which right there makes it better than A Night at the Opera), some famous songs that are fun, and an unexpectedly large amount of gambling.  But it's the dancing of Estaire and Rogers that make this movie. 

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
Fred Estaire and Ginger Rogers are a very famous dancing couple who made ten films together.  "Swing Time" is considered by many to be their best.  I have to think this is the reason it's on the AFI list.

Complaints:
A well conceived plot and good storyline are lacking, to say the least.  I found myself thinking throughout the film: "I don't get that character's motive for doing what they're doing in this scene", but I eventually realized that this movie is about the dancing and not the story.  Nevertheless, I like a good story and would prefer a little more effort in establishing motives for the actions of characters.

Another complaint: there's a big dance number in the middle of the movie with Estaire and a bunch of other dancers, but it was boring, odd, and too long (which, strangely enough, reminded me and my wife of the extended dance number in "Singin' in the Rain", which drags on for 10 minutes and is also more weird than enjoyable - was this a requirement for musicals back in the day or something?).

LET ME SUM UP...
This is a better than average movie, if for nothing more than to see some great dancing by Fred Estaire and Ginger Rogers.  It's certainly not worth watching for its plot or character development, but it's a lighthearted musical that doesn't try to be something it's not.

MY RATING: 5.5/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 69

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The whole idea behind a long dance number is lack of cuts. It takes a lot of skill from all the dancers to pull off a number with only a few mistakes (often hidden with cuts). It also shows how audiences used to have the attention span to watch a long number and enjoy the good dancing.