"Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" (1969) - PREVIOUS VIEWING

Rank on the AFI List: #73

Synopsis (according to AFI):
The chemistry of Newman and Redford redefined the buddy movie.  Goldman's script follows Butch and Sundance as they rob banks from the Old West all the way to Bolivia, making heroes out of anti-heroes.  The movie's key song Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head is a fun counterpart to the actual plight of our friends.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I really don't get the appeal of this movie.  Yes, Newman and Redford had great chemistry, and yes, there are some funny parts, but other than that....?

It was like watching a grown-up version of hide and seek (the "grown-up" part meaning it moves a bit slowly and there's not much sound), and much like other films on this list made in the late 60s (Easy Rider and Bonnie & Clyde in particular), I did not like the overall style of how this flowed.

However, like I said, there were some funny moments.  For example, the best part of the film - the dynamite scene - made me laugh out loud.  I have included this clip at the bottom of the post if you want to check it out.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
I don't know.  My wife and I just don't understand why this is considered a great movie.  I'd say it was a generational thing because my mother was the first person to recommend that I see this (that was before I began My Quest), but a friend of mine who is 2 weeks younger than me also thinks this is a great film and tells me that I just don't get it.  Furthermore, this was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won four of them, not to mention 11 nominations and 17 wins from other film and art institutions.  Again I say, I just don't get it.

Complaints?
Along with what I've already mentioned, the song "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" is really annoying.  How did that win so many awards??

LET ME SUM UP...
There are some funny moments and lines, and great chemistry between the two leads.  However, I'm just not a fan of this style of film, and it's a bit too slow and quiet.  The reasons why this film is so great are apparently over my head, so I'll give it an extra point in my rating simply due to my ignorance.

MY RATING: 5/10

No comments: