"The Sound of Music" (1965) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #40

Synopsis (according to IMDB since AFI's website is not working):
A woman leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to a Naval officer widower.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
Being a band geek in school, I saw bits and pieces of this film countless times since substitute teachers often used it to fill our class period.  And, being a guy (and a teenager at the time), I of course mocked it and never paid it much attention. 

However, I remember at some point after high school sitting through the whole movie and being somewhat impressed by it.  But hey, now that I'm on My Quest, I needed to give it another full viewing.  Thanks to our friends who own it, my wife and I had some great company!  (And not surprisingly, they're both music teachers.)

At the risk of completely emasculating myself, I will admit that I think this is a really good movie.  The story is engaging (I was surprised how fast a 3-hour musical went by), there is some surprisingly good humor, and the music - perhaps due to its universal recognition - was great (especially when compared to the music in West Side Story, which I found myself constantly comparing this movie to).  All this to say, I am a fan.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
From strictly a filmmaking standpoint, this is well done technically with some great writing.  From a visual standpoint, they have some amazing scenery shots.  From an acting standpoint, Julie Andrews was great, and my wife and I were both extremely impressed with Christopher Plummer as the male lead.  Add in the legendary songs and music, and all together this is one of the best musicals I have ever seen.  On top of that, this movie has Nazis for bad guys, so it's pretty much a lock to be on the AFI List (since the AFI loves movies about WWII and/or Nazis).  It also won 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, and (of course) Best Music.

Complaints
Well...it IS a musical.  Other than that, it seemed like some of the musical numbers with the kids should have had a few more takes because some of the gestures and acting seemed awkward and sloppy.

LET ME SUM UP...
One of the best musicals there is.  Surprisingly good humor, great acting, engaging story, and some breathtaking scenery.  If I was more a fan of musicals, I'd give this a higher rating.

MY RATING: 7.5/10 (0.5 higher from my previous rating)

No comments: