"The Philadelphia Story" (1940) RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #44

Synopsis (according to AFI)
Sophisticated and screwball all at once, Hepburn's cool, icy heiress really belongs with Grant, her ex. It takes tabloid newsman Stewart to bring out the fires buried deep inside her. This is a comedy of manners and class distinction. "The prettiest sight in this fine, pretty world is the privileged class enjoying its privileges."

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This was one of the first "classics" I watched after taking my American Film class in college. The reason being? I wanted to see Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in a movie together. Add in Katherine Hepburn, and you've got a star-powered comedy.

Not only does "The Philadelphia Story" have the actors to make it successful, but it's full of great comedic moments and quirky situations. Plus, my wife thought this was a really cute movie, so I have to add that it's a well done romantic comedy, too.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
I was curious to watch this film again during My Quest to figure out why it's considered the 44th best movie ever made. The aforementioned star power certainly doesn't hurt. And while I'm discovering that comedies seem to be the most subjective, debatable inclusions on AFI's list, this is simply a classic comedy. It has a little bit of upper-class disfunctionality which I felt was a fun way for the "common folk" audience to get a peak into the glitz and glamor of the wealthy and feel good about seeing them acting just as goofy and stupid as the rest of us. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the first movies to capitalize on the fact that drunk people tend to say and do funny things.

Complaint:
For a good chunk of the movie I felt it was similar to Some Like it Hot in that it had funny parts but wasn't consistently funny. However, as it gets closer to the end, it gets more consistent.

LET ME SUM UP...
This is a funny movie. It takes the audience into the inner circle of the wealthy and showcases their lives as just as screwy as everyone else's. It does this with class, with drunkenness, and with some of the biggest stars in the history of film. The comedy of the film feels a little inconsistent in the first half, but it ends strong.


MY RATING: 7/10 (No change from my previous rating)

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

Yes, good observation about how it gets more consistently funny toward the end. So true. And its definitely worth watching the whole movie for those funny parts!

Kevin & Kristin said...

I can't remember if I've seen this one or not, and the trailer didn't help me figure that one out!