"King Kong" (1933) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #41

Synopsis (according to IMDB.com)
A film crew goes to a tropical island for an exotic location shoot and discovers a colossal giant gorilla who takes a shine to their female blonde star.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
The story is well known, and there have been a couple remakes of this, so I won't bother at all with the story.  I just want to say that there's something about the visual "effects" that I think is really neat.  Perhaps it's the style of effects way back in 1933, I don't know, but the stop-motion animation of Kong and the other creatures is a major reason I really like this movie.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
This film really seems like it could be considered the first "movie blockbuster".  To try to explain, think of the big action movies that come out every summer: the action, the adventure, the over-the-top explosions or creatures.  Now imagine that type of movie coming out back in 1933.  That's "King Kong".  It starts off setting the stage and introducing characters quietly, but once the action gets introduced, it's virtually non-stop until the end.  And just like a lot of those summer blockbusters nowadays, it's a fun time if you don't take it too seriously.

Complaints?
My wife and I felt one actor in particular wasn't that great in this movie.  However, we disagreed on which actor was bad.  I thought it was the "hero" actor, and she thought it was the director.  Take your pick, but that's really the only thing I can mention here.  This is a great movie.

LET ME SUM UP...
Great movie with a "summer blockbuster" (circa 1933) feel.  If you like action movies and classic film, I'd be shocked if you haven't already seen this and liked it.

MY RATING: 8/10 (No change from my previous rating)

No comments: