"Forrest Gump" (1994) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #76

Synopsis (according to imdb.com)
Forrest Gump, while not intelligent, has accidentally been present at many historic moments, but his true love, Jenny, eludes him.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
For some reason, this film tends to be fairly polarizing.  I know people who absolutely love this movie.  I also know just as many people who loathe it.  Not sure why it's so divisive, but I'm happy to say that I belong in the "I love it" boat.

"Forrest Gump" is a heartwarming film, filled with great humor, thoughtful themes on life and death, and historical moments.  It's almost like being guided through a tour of late 20th century history by a loving, cheerful child.  It's a unique perspective from someone who's very easy to care about.

In that same vein, for taking place during such a complicated time in American history, I'm extremely impressed at the film's ability to illustrate how a true innocent managed to experience all that Forrest Gump did and sincerely remain just as innocent in the end.  It's a refreshing thought that a person could actually maintain a child-like heart that doesn't know any better than to be honest, loving, and selfless no matter what they're facing.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
"Forrest Gump" is sort of a hybrid of both emotions and American history, which I think is a major factor.  It's a love story, a drama, a comedy, an adventure flick, a war movie, a history lesson, a coming-of-age story, and a biopic (even if it's of a fictional character).  On top of that, it's a very well-made film with top-notch acting, direction, music, and overall production.  "Forrest Gump" was nominated for 13 Academy Awards, winning 6 of them for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Editing, and Visual Effects (how exactly DID they remove Gary Sinise's legs back in 1994??  I've always wondered that...).

Complaints:
I've been sitting here for about 5 minutes trying to think of anything specific I didn't really like about this movie, and I just can't think of anything.

LET ME SUM UP...
Great, great movie about a simpleton who lives life to the fullest.  An all-around terrific story that's fun, dramatic, inspiring, and full of heart.

MY RATING: 9/10 (1.0 higher from my previous rating)

No comments: