"The Godfather" (1972) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #2

Synopsis (according to IMDB.com)
The aging patriarch of an organized crime dynasty transfers control of his clandestine empire to his reluctant son.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
Whenever I talk about this movie, I always say "it's probably as close to a perfect movie as there is."  After re-watching it again, that statement holds true.  This is simply the poster child of a masterpiece.  The storytelling.  The acting.  The screenplay.  The cinematography.  "The Godfather" is simply amazing.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
I'm going to cheat and copy and paste the Critics Consensus from Rotten Tomatoes because they say it much better than I could: One of Hollywood's greatest critical and commercial successes, The Godfather gets everything right; not only did the movie transcend expectations, it established new benchmarks for American cinema.

Complaints?
Despite my raving above, I do actually have one complaint.  To try and avoid spoilers as much as possible, there is a fight scene out in the street between two characters, and at one point the camera is positioned in such a way that you can clearly see one "punch" that gets thrown misses the other guy's face by about a foot.  The rest of the fight scene looks believable enough, but the very first time I saw the film I noticed this fake punch and it sort of ruins the scene for me every time I watch it.

LET ME SUM UP...
As I said above and I say every time I talk about "The Godfather": it's probably as close to a perfect movie as there is.

MY RATING: 9.5/10 (0.5 higher from my previous rating)

No comments: