"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #26

Synopsis (according to AFI):
Appointed to the US Senate because the power brokers believe they've got a hayseed on their hands, Jefferson Smith surprises everyone with his honesty and gravitas.  Framed by the political machine that cleverly twists the truth, Smith almost waves a white flag, but Clarissa Saunders gives him a fast lesson in civics.  Filibuster!!!

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I saw this movie a few years ago and really liked it.  I like Jimmy Stewart, and I like the director Frank Capra (who also directed It's a Wonderful Life, #20 on the AFI List).  From my viewing experience, Capra films include a little cheese and a lot of human spirit triumph.

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" has both the cheese and the triumph, but if you ask me, the cheese is a little too thick.  There's a bit too much fanfare throughout the film (in contrast, "It's a Wonderful Life" thankfully and appropriately saves it all for the very end).  There were also more corny moments than I remembered the first time I watched it.  Nevertheless, it's still a neat movie to watch and sadly amazing to see how politics 70 years ago were just as corrupt and meddlesome as they are today.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
This film is worth watching just to get an inside look at how the U.S. Senate and our government system works.  I would argue that this is why "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" is considered one of the best in American film history.  I just don't think it's put together all that well from a strictly movie-making standpoint, so it must be the content that merits the honor of it being the 26th best American film ever.

Complaints:
I already mentioned the cheese factor.  On top of that, I felt this movie was missing a very important scene.  I really believe it needed to better illustrate just how much Claude Rains' character wanted to become President and how his whole life was dedicated to that achievement.  This would have made the ending much more powerful.

LET ME SUM UP...
This is truly a "Patriotic" film.  It's a great look into Congress and how our political system works.  However, it's a bit cheesy and lacking one very important scene, in my opinion.  Nevertheless, if you're an American, it's a movie worth watching at least once in your life.

MY RATING: 6/10 (2 lower from my previous rating)

1 comment:

Kevin & Kristin said...

I've heard of this movie, but I honestly don't remember if I've seen it or not. I'm not really interested in politics. Don't forget to post how many total films you've watched! I had to search back two posts to find it!