"Bonnie & Clyde" (1967)

Rank on the AFI List: #42

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
1) It stars Warren Beatty
2) It's about a real-life couple from the 1930s who robbed banks

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This movie wasn't exactly what I was expecting.  For some reason, I thought it would have a fair amount of humor and really glamourize the gangster, robbers-on-the-lamb lifestyle.  It did the latter somewhat, but it also portrayed the couple and their lifestyle as being rather tumultuous and unhappy (at least, that's the impression I got while watching it).

Now as far as the style of this film, it reminded my wife and I a LOT of Easy Rider, though this was certainly more enjoyable (of course, that's not saying much).  These two films had such a similar style in terms of film editing, sound, and lack of connectivity between scenes.  All this to say: I'm not a fan of this style.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
I'll let the American Film Institute answer this question because I couldn't figure out why this is considered one of the best films ever made until I read the description on their website: "We rob banks!"  Dunaway and Beatty star in this story of real-life 1930s bank robbers Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, a film that mixed romance, adventure, glamour, comedy and violence in a way never seen before.

While I agree with the violence and glamour, I thought the romance was odd and somewhat awkward, the adventure was lacking (I would have preferred more bank robbing scenes), and the comedy just wasn't very funny.  This may have been a groundbreaking blend of different genre elements, but I wasn't overly impressed with it.

Complaints:
1) It seemed a bit slow at times and lacked a lot of the action I was expecting.
2) Buck's wife has quite possibly the most irritating voice/scream EVER!
3) The style of this film is too similar to "Easy Rider".

LET ME SUM UP...
I was somewhat disappointed with this movie because I was expecting more action, better humor, and a different overall style.  However, I thought the acting was terrific, the action scenes were quite intense and very well done, and it was interesting to learn more about the infamous duo of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

MY RATING: 5/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 72

No comments: