"Rear Window" (1954) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #48

Synopsis (according to AFI)
When a broken leg forces photographer Stewart to become wheelchair-bound in his New York city apartment, he amuses himself by spying on his neighbors and soon becomes obsessed when he thinks he has witnessed a murder.  Kelly, as his fashionmodel girlfriend, helps with amateur detective work.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This was the first film my wife and I watched since I began My Quest that we had actually both already seen before.  But it's so good (and I wanted to blog about it) that we couldn't resist another viewing.

Before it started, I remembered that it was a great thriller.  I remembered the plot.  I also remembered Grace Kelly (my wife would probably kill me if I say anymore about her).  However, what I did NOT remember was how voyeuristic it is.  You spend the majority of the film looking into people's windows, watching them live their lives, completely unaware that someone is looking at them.  That's just creepy in general, but I think it adds to the overall suspense and nervousness of the film.

I also have to add that I think one reason this is such a popular movie is that it's a detective story (just look at how many crime-drama TV shows there are and tell me that people don't get into them), but the investigation is done by average people.  This gives the audience a chance to feel like THEY could solve a murder and do detective work, too.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
First, there's the fact that it's got some great suspense.  Second, that suspense consistently builds up as the story progresses (its crescendo is as steady as any film I've seen).  And to top it off, the entire film (except for one short scene) is set in one room.  To be able to create such a great thriller while only using one set is a great testimony to Hitchcock and how "Rear Window" is one of the best - and most unique - films ever made.

Complaints
In my opinion, the love story saga between Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly tended to "get in the way" of moving the plot along.  It didn't really add anything to the story.  Of course, it was a reason to have Grace Kelly in the film, so I can't really complain too much (on that note, my wife's complaint would probably be Grace Kelly is in this movie).

LET ME SUM UP...
Classic Hitchock film with great suspense, though it's a tad uncomfortable to watch because it's so voyeuristic.  Nevertheless, it's a great movie and quite entertaining.

MY RATING: 8/10 (1 lower from my previous rating)

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

Welllll, I do have to admit that Grace Kelly IS beautiful.

wanderingbtrfly said...

That IS a good trailer!

Kevin & Kristin said...

Rear Window is such a great movie! Another of Hitchock's with Jimmy Stewart is Rope (whole movie in two rooms). Although it's not quite as good as Rear Window, it was slightly entertaining and awkward. :)