"Chinatown" (1974) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #21

Synopsis (according to AFI):
An evocative score is the backdrop for 1930s Los Angeles, Nicholson is a private eye investigating the murder of Dunaway's husband.  But that's just the tip of Towne's unforgettable screenplay, where water rights, land deals and corruption clash with the unbearable secrets between a father and daughter on a lonely street in Chinatown.  "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I watched this film in the American Film class that inspired My Quest.  I thought it was alright back then, but I really liked it this time.  It's full of great acting, has an interesting plot (one you need to pay close attention to, though, because it's a bit complicated), and it has one of the best screenplays of any film I've seen before.

I was especially interested to watch this again so I could try and figure out the significance of why this film is called Chinatown (something I couldn't figure out after the first viewing).  I'd love to discuss my analysis here, but that might spoil it for those of you who haven't seen this yet.  All I will say is discussing the meaning of Chinatown with my wife after it ended was a lot of fun and gave the entire movie a deeper layer.  It also makes "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown" not only one of AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes of all time, but one of my favorites as well.  That quote speaks volumes to what this movie is about (and it's not about racism against Chinese people, if that's what you were thinking).

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
An amazing script, great acting, plot twists that the audience doesn't even expect, and a great tribute to the film noir genre from the 40s and 50s.  It also carries some historical significance since it's centered on the drought in Los Angeles during the 1930s.  It was nominated for 11 Academy Awards, winning Best Screenplay (it could have won 4 more if The Godfather Part II didn't come out that same year).

Complaints?
Just like my wife, I couldn't really find any particular fault with this movie, except that it was directed by a pedophile (Roman Polanski) and has a pretty complicated plot that doesn't necessarily resolve.

LET ME SUM UP...
A modern day film noir classic, this movie has an amazing screenplay.  It can get a bit confusing if you're not paying close attention to what's going on from scene to scene, but the significance of "Chinatown" in the story is a great focal point to think about once the credits start rolling.

MY RATING: 8.5/10 (1.5 higher than my previous rating)

No comments: