"Blade Runner" (1982)

Rank on the AFI List: #97

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
1) It stars Harrison Ford
2) It's a sci-fi thriller from the 80's

LET ME EXPLAIN...
For some reason, I had been looking forward to watching this one ever since I began My Quest.  The above info is really all I knew about it, so I guess its similarities to "Star Wars" intrigued me.

Then the movie began, continued, and ended, and I was left utterly disappointed.  This is a weird movie.  There's not a lot of action in it, and as my wife eloquently described it, it's more like an 80's melodrama in space.

The main storyline had giant holes that left me lost and not really caring about any of the characters, and the sub-story was bizarre and a bit uncomfortable to watch.  It seems like this film was trying to say something, but I wasn't doing cocaine in the 80's when I watched it, so its point was lost on me.  (Important note: the trailer included in this post makes the film look a LOT more interesting and exciting than it actually is.)

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
Apparently there hadn't been a movie like this before.  The atmosphere of this futuristic, dystopian reality was so new and different that "Blade Runner" stands out in film history....that's the only thing I can think of for answering this question, despite the fact that I wasn't really impressed by any of it.  It was nominated for two Academy Awards: Best Art Direction and Best Visual Effects.

Complaints
Practically no action (in a sci-fi film!), no real depth to the characters (though it seems like this film was trying to give them depth), and THE MUSIC!!  It's like I was watching a soap opera Atari video game.

LET ME SUM UP...
Slow-moving, bizarre sci-fi movie from the 80's that leaves a lot to be desired.

MY RATING: 1/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 87

No comments: