"Bringing Up Baby" (1938)

Rank on the AFI List: #88

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
Nothing at first, but then I learned it's a comedy involving a leopard and dinosaur bones...or something.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I have to admit that, despite this movie starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, I was expecting to not really like it.  First of all, it's a comedy, and comedies have been very hit-or-miss (mostly "miss") on the AFI List.  AND, it's ranked near the bottom of the list.

Fortunately, "Bringing Up Baby" turned out to be one of my favorite comedies in the Top 100.

It's very slapstick and quick-witted, and I particularly liked that Hepburn wasn't the elitist I was used to seeing her play in other films.  Instead, she plays a "flutter-brained vixen" without a hint of self-awareness, and I thought she played the role great.

The best part about this movie are all the great one-liners.  I'd watch this again with a pen and paper to write down all the great quotes.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
While I like this movie quite a bit, I don't have a real good answer to this question.  I just think it's a great film that consistently brings hilarious quotes, scenes, and physical comedy throughout.  I'm also inclined to say it is one of those great classic comedies that gets better as it gets older.  It was panned when it came out but has eventually become what many consider to be one of the greatest comedies ever made.

Complaints?
No big complaints, really.  This is a good all-around movie.

LET ME SUM UP...
Very funny slapstick, quick-wit movie that stars two of film history's greatest actors.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 93  

No comments: