"Sunset Boulevard" (1950) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #16

Synopsis (according to AFI):
Struggling writer Holden hides out from car repossessors in the ancient mansion of aging silent star Swanson ("I am big. It's the pictures that got small."). He sees a lucrative break for himself when she wants to make a return to the screen, but he is unaware of the price he will have to pay.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I watched this one in my American Film class, and I thought it was decent.  This time around, I still liked it and appreciated even more its film noir style.  However, I can understand if some people don't really like this.

The first thing I think may turn some people off is Gloria Swanson's performance.  To this, I recommend watching a silent film like Intolerance right before watching "Sunset Boulevard".  This may put into context why Swanson's character is so dramatic with her facial expressions and body language.

Something else that may not play to everyone's liking is its focus on Hollywood.  For the sole purpose of understanding this film more, I found myself wishing I was a struggling actor, or writer, or director living in Tinsel Town.  This film was really made for the Hollywood crowd.

On a somewhat unrelated note...
After watching this a second time, and seeing The Bridge on the River Kwai earlier, I'm now a William Holden fan.  I like his dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
Similar to Tootsie, the fact that this film is about the acting/film industry is one reason I'm sure AFI considers it the 16th best film ever made.  On top of that, most sources consider this the first movie to ever showcase the dark, unglamorous side of Hollywood, which adds to its critical acclaim.  It was nominated for 11 Academy Awards, winning three (Best Music, Best Art Direction, and Best Writing, all of which were very much deserved).

Not really a complaint, but...
I would have loved to know more about Max.  I think his story was told enough to be effective, but he's one of the most intriguing characters to me and I ended up wanting to know more about him.

LET ME SUM UP...
Great film noir that is set in Hollywood as opposed to a detective's office.  It's #16 on the AFI List because of its well-done examination of the bowels of Hollywood.

MY RATING: 7.5/10 (0.5 lower from my previous rating)

No comments: