"E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #24

Synopsis (according to AFI)

An extra-terrestrial is accidentally left behind on Earth and is befriended by a young boy and his brother and sister. As Elliot attempts to help his extra-terrestrial companion contact his home planet so that he might be rescued, the children must elude scientists and government agents determined to apprehend the alien for their own purposes...which results in an adventure greater than any of them could have imagined.... 

LET ME EXPLAIN...

This movie has never been near and dear to my heart like it seems to be with so many people (especially with the AFI, who rank this quite high at #24 of all time).  Watching it as a kid, I remember being more bored than excited, and the atmosphere of the film was more creepy than magical.  Having said that, I was legitimately excited to watch "E.T." again as an adult to see what would change for me.

Well, I still don't really like the atmosphere.  All the fog and haze through the first part of the movie bothers me a lot for some reason.  Then in the second half, when the government sets up the biohazard area inside the home, that still is pretty freaky and uncomfortable.  However, I think the government scientists get undeservedly characterized as bad guys here, when no real sinister or cold motives are every actually presented in the film.  They even have the heart to leave Elliott alone with E.T. to say goodbye and deal with his grief.  But hey, it's an 80's children's movie, so NO adults can be trusted, right?  The movie even dehumanizes adults a bit in its cinematography, as you don't see any of their faces (except for Elliott's mom) until the second half of the film (thanks to my wonderful wife for pointing that out to me).


What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?

Good question, since I don't think this is a very well-done movie.  Granted, it's a children's movie, so explaining certain plot points, or connecting the story in a way that makes sense to the viewer, isn't as crucial, but come on, if you're supposed to be the 24th best American film ever made, I would think that kind of stuff would be prerequisites.  Having said that, I'll suppose this is in the Top 100 because it was the first real, live-action, children's fantasy movie; a boy gets an alien for a buddy and can fly through the air on his bicycle?  I'll admit I would love that if I was still 10 years old.  "E.T." was nominated for 9 Academy Awards, winning 4 of them: Best Sound, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Visual Effects, and Best Music.

Complaints?

I already touched on this above, but seriously, several plot points never get addressed, explained, or paid much attention to.  And it's not like explaining them would ruin the magic of the story.  They'd actually help make the story more clear.  Oh well.

LET ME SUM UP...

The original live-action children's fantasy movie.  It lacks in cohesive storytelling and continues to leave me a bit bored, but it's not terrible to sit through.

MY RATING: 5/10 (No change from my previous rating)


No comments: