"Toy Story" (1995) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #99

Synopsis (according to AFI)
Well, AFI decided to reformat its website since my last re-watch, so an AFI synopsis is no longer available.  I have to say I'm not a fan since I liked how their synopses often gave some insight into why the film is on their list.  Oh well, here's IMDB:

A cowboy toy is profoundly threatened and jealous when a fancy spaceman toy supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.

AFI, bring back your synopses!!

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This is my favorite Pixar movie, so I was excited to watch it again after 10+ years, countless new Pixar films, and two sequels.  Conclusion?  This movie is still awesome, and one of the funniest Pixars ever (for the record, I didn't think Toy Story 3 was all that funny, though it did offer more dramatic action and high quality animation).

What else is there to say?  The premise of our toys coming to life when we're not around is original and takes us back to our childhood, which is a nice escape from the responsibilities of adulthood.  I don't think they could have casted the voices any better, either.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
Finally, an easy film to answer this question about!  Quite simply, it was the first full-length computer-animated movie ever.  The fact that the story and humor is terrific is just the cherry on top.

Complaints?
None.  I love this movie.

LET ME SUM UP...
Inventive premise, engaging story, great humor, and the very first computer-animated movie make this an easy pick for the Top 100.

MY RATING: 10/10 (1.0 higher from my previous rating)

1 comment:

Rob said...

Truly is a classic this one I think. The characters are much more sophisticated than in most other children's movies.