"Cabaret" (1972)

Rank on the AFI List: #63

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
1) It's a musical having something to do with Nazi Germany
2) It stars Liza Minnelli

LET ME EXPLAIN...
Here's the recipe for "Cabaret":

1 part Sophie's Choice
1 part Sound of Music
1 part Schindler's List

Combine "Sophie's Choice" with "Sound of Music".  Whisk together until all good elements of both films are no longer visible.  Once together, strain out any semblance of a plot.

Take "Schindler's List" and water it down.  Water it down some more.  Add just a pinch of what's left to the previous mixture.  Discard what remains.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
Just like The Last Picture Show, I have absolutely no idea, and I can't even give a guess about what might make this so critically acclaimed.  It's an odd musical with virtually no plot, and I never felt like I got close enough to the characters to care about them.  Liza Minnelli's performance was worthy of the Best Actress Oscar that she won, but amazingly enough, "Cabaret" won a total of 8 Academy Awards in 1973.  That includes beating out Francis Ford Coppola ("The Godfather") for Best Director.  I'm in awe...

Complaints:
I finished watching this four days ago, and I'm still waiting for the plot to unfold.

LET ME SUM UP...
Another musical I just can't appreciate, but unlike West Side Story, "Cabaret" has no plot and no excitement.  Liza Minnelli's performance was the ONLY element I thought was good.

MY RATING: 2/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 85

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

You got the recipe for this movie EXACTLY right. Although, I don't recommend replicating it! I agree - that movie stunk!

Jaimie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.