"It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) - RE-WATCH

Rank on the AFI List: #20

Synopsis (according to IMDB.com)
An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed.

LET ME EXPLAIN...
I absolutely love this movie.  I'm one of those people who gets choked up watching it, and I'm so glad I finally got around to watching it for the first time back in college.  It's a story full of compassion, selflessness, sacrifice, and life.  Real life.  Not some Hollywood version of life's fulfillment being found in your plans coming to fruition, but in realizing the blessings found in life no matter what direction life goes.

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
See above.  This movie is so great at depicting what real life is like.  Plans fall through.  Sacrifices have to be made.  Life gets tough (I realize I'm a 29-year old with no kids, so I can't really speak on this yet from experience, but I hear things).  People pass away.  Relationships change.  Anyone can see themselves in George Bailey's shoes and relate, so this film does an amazing job at striking a chord that can resonate with anyone.  It's also wonderfully acted by everyone, especially Jimmy Stewart (his prayer in the bar always stands out to me as superb acting).  This film was nominated for 5 Academy Awards and - were it not for The Best Years of Our Lives coming out that same year - would have been the top film of 1946.

Complaints?
A lot of older films have some awkward acting moments (e.g. North by Northwest), and this film is no exception.  Nevertheless, "It's a Wonderful Life" is simply too great of a film to mark it down for something that's simply a sign of the times.

LET ME SUM UP...
One of the greatest films ever.  It's a heart-tugging tear-jerker that is the best example of "life" I've seen on film.

MY RATING: 10/10 (no change from my previous rating)

No comments: