"Schindler's List" (1993) - PREVIOUS VIEWING

Rank on the AFI List: #8

Synopsis (according to AFI):
The film is based on the true, complex, and often puzzling story of Oskar Schindler, the Czech industrialist who saved hundreds of Jews from the gas chambers during the Holocaust. "This list is an absolute good. The list is life."

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This was a good movie.  It was horrible to watch, but in a way that I think is necessary for people to understand just how horrible the Holocaust must have been and how evil humanity can truly be.  Fortunately, the film also illustrates the power of good and doing what is "right" through Oskar Schindler, who transformed from an exploiter into a savior.

I will say that the shock factor of this film was somewhat lost on me because I watched The Pianist before I watched "Schindler's List", and both contain incredibly horrific acts being done to other human beings.

One somewhat odd (and hopefully not offensive) point I feel compelled to make is that "Schindler's List" is the only film I've ever seen where the nudity seemed necessary and justified.  That's because it wasn't sexual at all and added another component to the utter humiliation and horror the Jews must have gone through.  (Having said that, there was one sex scene early in the film that I don't think was necessary at all.  I'm not talking about that.)

What makes this a "Top 100" Movie?
By all accounts, this was an extremely well-made film.  The fact that it's based on a true story and centers around Jews during the Holocaust makes this an easy choice for being considered one of the Top 10 best films of all time.  Not surprisingly, it won seven Academy Awards including Best Picture, and was nominated for another five.

Complaints?
Along with the aforementioned sex scene, another "complaint" would be the length of the film.  I'm not sure it really had to be as long as it was, but it's been over a year since I watched it, so I don't really have any specifics on what they could have cut down.  I just remember thinking that at times during the movie.  Also, I don't know how to explain it, but the general style and flow of the film isn't necessarily my favorite for some reason.

LET ME SUM UP...
A very powerful and horrific film.  Probably the best example there is of what went on during the Holocaust.  It might not be my favorite movie, but I can clearly understand why it's considered one of the best (and most important) films ever made.

MY RATING: 8/10

1 comment:

Lindsey A said...

I just watched this one this morning before work. (Horrible idea to watch it before work.) It was so disturbing that I was literally shaking for hours. As awful as it was to watch, I feel like if it affects me physically like that, it must be an amazing movie.