"A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951)

Rank on the AFI List: #47

(I just noticed the coincidence that the 47th movie I ended up watching from the list is ranked at #47 ON the list. I love random bits of interesting -- albeit useless -- information.)

I apologize in advance that this critique may not be the best, but that's because I actually watched this movie several weeks ago. I'm starting my one-by-one critiques with this film, however, because it marks the start of My Quest.

WHAT I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE MOVIE:
Only 2 things...
1) It starred Marlon Brando
2) The famous quote, "STELLA! STELLA!"

LET ME EXPLAIN...
This was my first experience watching a young Marlon Brando (I had previously only seen him in The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, both of which he was a lot older). I was quite impressed with his acting, and for most of the movie I considered him to be by far the best reason to watch this film.

However, as the film progressed, Vivien Leigh ended up stealing the show. And I'm glad she did, because her character (and her acting -- I thought) was bugging me! But fortunately, in one particular scene, her character is truly revealed, and the talent to pull off what Vivien Leigh pulled off was amazing. When the movie ended, her performance was the memorable one (although the acting overall was incredible in this movie: 3 Oscar winners for acting, and another nomination). If you want to see some great acting, watch "A Streetcar Named Desire."

Only complaint...
Now one thing my wife and I both thought the movie did a poor job with was the supposed "sexual tension" that apparently builds throughout the movie between 2 characters (I won't say who so I don't ruin it for you). Neither of us felt there was ANY sexual tension, and that made one very important scene at the end confusing (again, I won't say what the scene was....don't you love my vaguery?). I had to look at message boards on imdb.com to learn what REALLY happened.

LET ME SUM UP...
This was a very good movie with incredible acting, particularly Vivien Leigh (the lead actress). Her performance in this movie has made me much more excited to watch Gone With the Wind (#6 on AFI's list).

MY RATING: 7.5/10

TOTAL # OF FILMS WATCHED: 47

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

And, this is Marlon Brando's youngest movie, so he's uncannily good looking. As he gets older, his attractiveness decreases almost exponentially. (I just thought I'd add that!)